This role will be the senior technology leader to support production of Allspark’s series episodic and feature film projects. Located at Boulder Media animation studio in Dublin, Ireland, the Director of Technology will report to Hasbro’s SVP Global IT Operations, manage a team of highly motivated individuals in both Dublin & Burbank, CA, and have overall responsibility for aligning the various technology groups contributing to the Studio’s global production schedules. The ideal candidate is a seasoned technologist, has prior experience and extensive knowledge of animation production/post-production pipelines along with their associated systems. Also, this role will be a technology innovator developing and streamlining workflows, implementing automation and other tools critical to the production pipeline. In addition, this role has full accountability and collaborates with senior leadership to create and adhere to budgets based on operational requirements, including the planning and developing of full technology operating budget and capital expenditures for the fiscal year.
Technical Roadmap – Owns the technical roadmap of the pre-production, production, and post-production technology stacks
- In-depth knowledge of core technologies including Windows 10, Unix (CentOS), SFTP, Large File Transfer (Aspera/OpenText), Virtualization (VMotion), Cisco routers/firewalls,
- Demonstrated understanding of NTSC and PAL for video resolution, frame and refresh rates, as well as TV aspect ratios (i.e. 16x9/1:78)
- Understanding of social media video standards including .MOV, .MPEG4, MP4, .AVI, .WMV and others.
- Experience with Video Edit bay technologies (i.e. Avid/Media Composer)
- Has established a complete Development Operation toolset including technologies such as Shotgun (Asset Management & Coordination), RV (Playback), Salt/Puppet/Chef (Deployment Manager), Arnold (Render Management), Maya/Nuke/Katana/Photoshop/Golaem/etc. (Animation Toolkit), Jira (collaboration), etc.
- Experience in programming in C/C, Python, Perl, HTML5/Java Script
Production Technical Operations – Ensure uptime and peak performance of pre-production, production, and post-production technology stacks
- Leverage ITIL-based standards to monitor and ensure the technology stacks remain available to the production teams.
- Implement change management processes to ensure changes to the technology stacks are well thought out and documented and pose minimum impact to the production teams.
- Anticipate capacity requirements for storage, compute, network, power, and cooling resources, providing frequent capacity reports to the Leadership team to deliver a cost-effective resource and demand management program.
- Data Retention – Ensures the asset management/storage program utilizes a transparent reporting and asset expiration program (including automated scripting where possible) to allow the cost-effective management of latest assets and approved historic versions.
Render Farm Management – Manage the render farm for high performance and cost effectiveness
- Ensures the requests for renders are prioritized and processed taking into account given prioritization standards and leveraging the distributed render farm by managing a team of Render Wranglers and other supportive staff.
- Implement program which leverages both dedicated on-premises as well as cloud resources, cost effectively scaling up and down based on the needs of the Production teams.
- On-premises dedicated hardware in a data center environment.
- On-premises shared hardware (Production workstations).
- Off-premises cloud-based for burst.
- Leverage flexible toolset to ingest and manage Renders (i.e. Arnold).
Storage Environment – Manages storage environment for high performance and cost effectiveness
- Proven track record of setting up a multi-tier (real-time, near real-time, historic storage, etc.), cost-effective, scalable storage eco-system that satisfies a multi-location, global pipeline.
- Experience with Dell EMC Isilon, Isis and LTO (with off-premises storage) on-premises archive solutions, as well as cloud-based storage solutions.
Service Quality – Provide great technical leadership to Allspark and Boulder Media production crews
- Manages client services team satisfying all compute and print needs (Win 10, Linux).
- Ensures secure, adequate, and redundant network connectivity between facilities (including any 3rd party locations). MPLS, and SD-Wan technologies (Viptella).
- Ensures power and cooling requirements are understood to support the technology stacks.
- Using monitoring platforms (i.e. Nagios), monitor technology stacks, anticipating issues and remediating leveraging industry workflow management tools (i.e. Jira/ServiceNow).
Stays on the Cutting Edge of Technology – Remains current on all technology trends related to live action and animation production technologies
- Has a solid technical foundation on projects ranging from digital production infrastructure to animation pipeline. Rapidly learns new skills, grasping complicated technical information, and staying updated on the latest production workflow technologies.
- Understands technical considerations for MPAA guidelines.
Global Technical Leadership – Partners with and provides oversight of production technology
- With support from your Global team, craft and deliver a technology strategy which increases efficiencies in pre-production, production, and post-production workflows.
- Quickly sort tasks into priorities, determining the balance between short-term triage and designing robust solutions, can consistently focus on problems of different scopes and timelines, and are able to organize a deploy your global team to execute on initiatives.
- Approaches challenges creatively, but methodically. Understands the urgency of the production pipeline, but balance that with long term durability and sustainability of solutions that benefit future projects.
- Again, provides leadership and has ultimate accountability for the creation and adherence of budgets based on operational requirements, including the planning and developing of full technology operating budget and capital expenditures for fiscal year.
- A 3rd level qualification is desirable.
- Or, Bachelor’s degree or equivalent desirable in Engineering, Computer Science or other technology-related discipline preferred.
- MBA or other graduate degree a plus.
- 10+ years of experience in production and post-production, 5 years of experience in a production technology leadership role, 3 years of experience in an IT operations support leadership role
- Experience within the animation or film industry is a distinct advantage (knowledge of the animation industry would be preferred but not essential).
- Demonstrated ability to establish processes, operational policies, and procedures.
- Experience with being the initial point of contact and ongoing liaison for team members with cross-functional stakeholders throughout the organization.
- Must have a fast-paced production mindset, and the ability to work in multiple international time zones.
- Ability to manage and maintain budgets.
- Well organized multitasker with demonstrated accomplishment in an senior technology role.
- A strong ability to be an effective and accountable leader and people manager, with well-developed skills in active listening, change management, collaboration, and communication.
- Has a strong ability to create and manage global operational budgets.
- Exceptional ability to collaborate with stakeholders and project/functional leads to identify project requirements, clearly determine scope of work, budget, specific deliverables, and timelines.
- Demonstrated success in providing mentorship and guidance to cross-functional and global teams, as well as very strong influential skills.
- Ability to gracefully navigate a complex system of stakeholders with disparate objectives and priorities.